Saturday, April 29, 2006

Philippians 1:12-30 The Advance of the Gospel April 30 06

(The sermon can be heard online at: http://www.tenth.ca/audio.htm)

Philippians 1:12-30 The Advance of the Gospel April 30 06 30 minutes max:


Do you know the story of the boy Alexander, featured in the book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day?
Alexander says, I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

At school Mrs. Dickens liked Paul's picture of the sailboat better than my picture of the invisible castle.
At singing time she said I sang too loud. At counting time she said I left out sixteen. Who needs sixteen? I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.
I think I'll move to Australia.

There were lima beans for dinner and I hate limas beans. There was kissing on TV and I hate kissing. I think I'll move to Australia.

My bath was too hot, I got soap in my eyes…. and I had to wear my railroad-train pajamas. I hate my railroad-train pajamas.

It has been a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. My mom says some days are like that.

Even in Australia.
We all, at one time or another in our lives, find ourselves in midst of a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day—or a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad or week or month or season. Maybe some terrible experience at school, work, in a relationship, or something related to our financial picture our health or a combination of the above.
The apostle Paul new what is was like to face great adversity:
Paul in about the year 60 AD was in jail in Rome for his faith. The Emperor Nero was becoming increasingly hostile toward followers of Christ, and was Paul living under the threat of death…
But in spite of this, as he writes to church at Philippi exudes joy and hope…
This morning we’re going to discover why:
If you have your Bibles please turn to Philippians 1:12-26
12 Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that what has happened to me has actually served to advance the gospel. 13 As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. 14 And because of my chains, most of the brothers and sisters have become confident in the Lord and dare all the more to proclaim the gospel without fear.
15 It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16 The latter do so out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.
Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, 19 for I know that through your prayers and God's provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance (or salvation). 20 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. 21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. 25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, 26 so that through my being with you again your boasting in Christ Jesus will abound on account of me.
The church at Philippi Paul was writing here to would have been understandably distressed by Paul’s being thrown into prison for the Gospel.
Paul was the arguably the greatest messenger for Christ ever.
He would go into cities and debate with leading intellectuals--and people would be converted to Christ and churches would be formed…
Perhaps, the church at Philippi wonders now that Paul is in imprison, what will happen to the “movement”?
Some of people who knew Paul had been thrown into prison for the Gospel of Christ may have began to doubt Paul and the movement itself.
It was very common then and it’s fairly common today to believe that if something bad happens to a person they must be “cursed” and if something “good” happens to a person they must be blessed.
Paul claims to be a servant of God and to be preaching the truth and yet he ends up being arrested for this and being thrown into a Roman prison!
Is God really with him?
Perhaps seeds of doubt are starting to settle into their own minds.
And Paul responds in this letter from prison with a higher elevation perspective.
In vs. 12 Paul says my being thrown into prison has really served to advance the Gospel.
As a result of my being imprisoned, the whole palace guard in Rome, knows I am in chains for Christ.
The Palace guard would numbered several thousand and some of these guards would have had personal contact with Paul.
Apparently Paul while in prison Caesar’s household came to know Paul was in prison for Christ. In 4 vs. 22 Paul says members from Caesar’s household send their greetings.
This isn’t to say all the guards and Caesar’s household all were being converted to Christ, but they knew why Paul was there and some were likely drawn to Christ through him. There a rumor in that famous advisor to Nero Seneca visited Paul and may have come to believe.
I know someone who is in a pretrial prison on what I believe is a false charge—and in prison he’s come to connect more deeply with Christ and others in prison are coming to know about Christ because my friends presence there…
Paul saying, I am in chains for the Gospel, but the Gospel isn’t stopped, it’s now spreading like a good virus it’s spreading in this environment…
2nd… Paul because says my chains most of the brothers and sisters have become more confident in the Lord and speak the word of God without fear…
There’s something about Paul risking his life and declaring the Gospel, the news that Christ was crucified and rose again so that our sins could be forgiven and we can be reconciled to God, that drew people closer to God and enabled them to become bold messengers for God.
Now for most of us we’re not going to find ourselves in chains for stepping out saying something related to our faith.
But there even in our culture there can be a kind of risk in sharing our faith.
Naomi Wolf, the famous feminist, had an experience of Jesus and said, in our culture we can talk about money, sex, politics… one of areas that is difficult for us to talk about is our spiritual journey…
Deep down there is still a part of us that’s a self-conscious 13 years old…
When we step out are share about our faith it can encourage to drawer closer to God and if they believe can become bolder.
One summer I was working for the Parks board and a group 12 or so of us went for lunch… and someone in the group asked what kind of career direction I wanted to take, I shared my hope to go into the ministry one day… she asked why? And it led to story about my journey to Christ… I could feel people leaning in a little closer to listen..… but one secretary’s eye become like swirly lollipops, I didn’t know what she was thinking…
Later that afternoon back in office… this secretary came up to me and looked both ways to make sure no one who could hear and whispered, you’re a Christian! She said, I thought I was I was the only one… but there’s you… I got the sense she was really “undercover” with her faith, but she was willing to identify herself as Christian at least to me…because I talked about mine…
If we talk about our faith when it naturally comes up just like we would talk about an other important relationship or as might as we our love of snow boarding or hiking it will help other people of faith drawer and become bolder about their faith and it will draw others one step closer and.
And Paul is saying my willingness to declare Gospel even though meant prison has actually helped people draw closer to God and become bolder about their faith in Christ!
Paul says some are even inspired by my imprisonment to get ahead… and are preaching Christ out of rivalry and ambition…
Because, Paul’s imprisonment… it seems that other were thinking the number #1 leader is out picture, we can position themselves, to be the number one spokesperson for the cause, we can increase our market share, our “fan base.”
With Paul Martin having stepped down as leader of the Liberal Party, a number of would be leaders of the party are stepping up, some likely from noble motives wanting to serve our country and others are likely driven by personal ambition and some of course, with a mixture of motives.
When Paul was arrested a number of people stepped forward and stepped up in their proclamation of the Gospel, and some were preaching from noble motives and some from impure motives.
Paul is saying that even though the Gospel is preached in some cases with bad motives it still is powerful and can change lives…
I remember being in seminary and sitting in my apartment north of Boston with some other students. We were studying for a theology exam. We were studying how in order for us as human beings to have someone to represent us and bear on our behalf the punishment for sins that we deserved, that representative would need to be one of us, a human being. But that human being would also needed to be perfect--to satisfy a holy God’s perfect requirement… and we studied how God became a human being so he could represent us…but how he was the perfect human being so that he could satisfy the requirement for a perfect sacrifice…
As we were explaining this to each other… we so moved, we spontaneously declared how extraordinary God was and took some time for silent awe…
Our motives for studying this Gospel were NOT especially lofty… we just wanted to pass an exam. But even our motives weren’t we deeply moved by the Gospel itself.
I love to study to classical music, when a musician plays Mozart, or Beethoven, or Bach faithfully, regardless the music still has power….
And the Gospel ipreached as it is, even if it’s done with impure motives still has power.
And Paul is saying because I’m in prison, others have been inspired to preach the Gospel, some of impure motives, but who cares the Gospel is advancing!
So, we you if think my being in prison is some kind of irreparable disaster think again!
Because I am in prison the Gospel is making inroads among the people in prison, in Caesar’s house, brothers and sisters have been emboldened to share the Gospel, and people out of personal ambition to replace me, but who cares, I’m glad the Gospel is going forward.
In the economy of God, what appears to be a bad thing can actually be a great thing, what appears to be a tragedy can actually further God’s purpose…
One of favorite stories in the Bible is the story of Joseph. The Scriptures tell us was sold into slavery a young person in Canaan because his brothers were jealous of him…
In Egypt Joseph ends up in prison on a false charge and then through a completely unforeseeable turn of events Joseph becomes prime minister!
A great famine comes over the land of Canaan and his brothers who sold him into slavery come to Egypt not recognizing that Joseph their brother is now prime minister… when Joseph reveals himself to them… they are deathly afraid, but he says don’t be afraid, what you meant for evil God meant for God….
Looking back can we see the how God choreographed details our lives, even the things that are not good in of themselves, to fulfill his purposes for us?

Even in bleakest circumstances, God can bring out good.

Paul is in prison with the Emperor Nero who is become more and more hostile toward the followers of Christ in power and Paul does not know whether he will live or die…

Most people think that the worst case scenario is death, but Paul says “For me to live is Christ… but to die is gain." “Gain” for Paul here means that he will come to know Christ more fully after death.

If we have faith in Christ, we will have hope even in the face of death, because we know we will gain Christ more fully...

Sang Yoon Kim passed quietly early in the morning October 17th, 2005. Sang and my younger sister Annie were three days away from being married this fall when he went into the University of Michigan hospital for an emergency surgical procedure. What began as the sad postponement of their wedding soon became a six week battle in the intensive care unit…Sang had been diagnosed with Crohn’s disease over a year ago…an inflammatory bowel disease that attacks your intestines…

It was sad enough that his quality of life would be greatly affected, but no one excepted him lose his life to the disease so quickly…especially not then…

There is much I could say…and I feel I need to acknowledge that though I am sharing this morning out what I have experienced and learned through this time…it has been Sang’s family…my mother and father who are here this morning…and especially my sister…that have bore the weight of his loss…I am eternally grateful for their example to me…for the space they gave me to participate in their loss and grief.

I want to share this morning about the life and hope I saw in the midst of our family’s suffering, but I must say a word about the nature of this suffering…

I have learned so much through this time. I have seen and experienced so much love, comfort, hope, and beauty…but I would never wish this on anyone…not on my sister, not on my friends, not on any of you…what our family experienced was truly the brokenness of a sin-stained world…and it has taught me to say…this is not how it’s supposed to be…

Sang and our family, his family…we suffered…but because of the kingdom…because in their suffering, they choose obedience, submission, trust, hope….I believe their suffering has meaning…is life giving…their loss became an experience of the cross…in his death…gospel life pours forth…in annie’s life, in Sang’s sister’s life…in our lives…

In our suffering, we always have an opportunity to experience the cross…to experience and share in the suffering of Jesus…and in that…to know his power and resurrection…hope becomes more hopeful…when he comes…it will mean that much more to us…

I truly believe that Sang’s suffering, his life and even his death gave life to others…I saw it as his friends and family gathered the evening after he passed…as they shared stories about his life…laughed and cried and listened with each other…I saw it as hundreds gathered for his memorial services…story after story arose about how his simple gentle life served people, included people, gave them a glimpse of God’s amazing love…

We will always know…death does not have the final word…for there is a day, when we will see God face to face…when we will see Sang again…

Until then we grieve…we trust…and we promise not to forget…

When we recognize God’s hand even the darkest circumstances, it’s not as though we don’t experience pain…we do experience pain, but we also experience gratitude…

In a sermon called the Mystery of Providence, John Flavel says:

Look back over your life and explore and remember God’s providence toward you (i.e. think about how God has choreographed events in your to achieve his purposes for you)

Flavel asks, has God use events (whether good or bad in and of themselves) to draw you to God?

Has God used things (whether good or bad in and of themselves) to fulfill his purposes for you?

As we trace the pattern of God’s providence in our life we will become people of gratitude.

Second, understanding God as the great choreographer of our lives will make us people of humility.
A wise Chinese man had horse ran away and everyone said “bad luck.” The man says we don’t know it’s bad luck or good luck. Then one days the horse comes back with a stallion and all his neighbors say what "good luck." The man says we know don’t if this is good or bad luck. The next day the man's son was out riding the newly found horse when it got spooked and threw him, breaking his leg. Again, the neighbors came by and expressed their sorrow for the bad luck. But the man simply responded, "we’d don’t whether this is bad or good luck.”
Now there was a war going on in the land and the king ordered the conscription of all the young men, most of which were being killed in battle. But when the soldiers came to collect the farmer's boy, he was excused because of his broken leg, which probably saved the young man's life. The son ends up caring for his father into old age.”
We don’t know whether something will prove to be good or bad… But if we know that God will choreograph something to service a purpose we may not even be aware of now, this will cause us to live with humility…
So knowing God is God, makes us people of humility, gratitude, and finally hope…

Even if we’re in the midst of a terrible, no good, very bad circumstance… like Paul if we know God is working out his purposes we can have hope…

Thomas Merton was a young person who had been wild partying student at Columbia University back on the 1930’s. But he gave his life to Christ and a yearning grew within him to become part of a Trappist monastery.

But there a strong possibility that because of his scandalous past he might be rejected by the monastery (he had been rejected in an application to a Franciscan monastery), and might be drafted into the army.

In his autobiography the Seven Storey Mountain he writes:

Mile after mile my desire to be in the monastery increased beyond belief… and yet paradoxically mile after mile so did my peace…

What if I were rejected by the monastery and were drafted into the war, it would be clear that this was God’s will…

I had done everything in my power to enter the monastery, the rest was in God’s hands.

For all the tremendous desire to be in the monastery, the thought that I might find myself instead in the army camp, no longer troubled me in the least.

I was free… I belonged to God…

Merton had freedom and hope… because he knew his life was in God’s hand…

When we our lives are in Christ, like Paul even in terrible, horrible circumstances we can people gratitude, humility and hope, knowing that God will fulfill his purposes in us…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home